Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Recital tonight to feature Waldorf musicians

The Waldorf College Music Department will present “Apollo’s Lyre: Student Recital,” a free musical event featuring vocal, piano and instrumental performances at 7:30 tonight in the Odvin Hagen Music Center Recital Hall.

Janelle Flatebo, a sophomore music education major, is no stranger to recitals at Waldorf, having participated in events last year. She said a recital is an important performance for students because they gain the crucial experience of performing in front of an audience.

"Students can work on calming their nerves with each performance, as well as improving other skills, such as stage presence," she said. "I am able to see the progress that my peers have made with their own pieces, as well."

Flatebo is scheduled to sing and play the flute during tonight's recital. She said she doesn't let nerves get to her.

"Typically, I am somewhat nervous before I enter the stage, but then, I remind myself that I am fully capable of performing at the best of my ability," she said. "And once I tell myself just to have fun, that also calms my nerves."

The following students are scheduled to perform:

Vocalists (all accompanied by Timothy Schmidt, professor emeritus in the keyboard area)
  • Keisha Chelburg, soprano
  • Wes Tener, baritone
  • Janelle Flatebo, soprano
  • Laura Lindsay, soprano
  • William Eilts, tenor
  • Anna Eggebraaten, mezzo-soprano
  • Brittany Banks, soprano
  • Lauren Severson, soprano
  • Zachariah Carlson, bass-baritone
Instrumentalists
  • Janelle Flatebo, flute
  • Jason Homard, horn
  • Heather Fridlington, piano
  • Wes Tener, piano
  • Britt Banks, piano
  • Tamara Cook, piano
  • Britt Banks, Tamara Cook, Heather Fridlington, Katherine Frush, piano
The recital will be the last of the fall semester. Waldorf holds as many as three student recitals each semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment